Sea Kayak Guide Standards & Certification
The Association of Canadian Sea Kayak Guides advocates the highest standards for sea kayak guides in Canada. We promote professional risk management and responsibility on commercial sea kayak tours worldwide.
Guides are invited to apply, transfer or recertify.
Outfitters are encouraged to verify certified guides.
- The ACSKG sets a high standard for commercial sea kayak guiding in the coastal waters of Canada and around the world, through;
- Developing and maintaining standards for commercial sea kayaking, while certifying guides according to these standards, and;
- Encouraging continual professional development in the many aspects of leadership, from risk management to natural and cultural interpretation, and;
- Representing the interests of professional sea kayak guides to private, commercial and government groups.
Endorsed by Parks Canada
"The Association of Canadian Sea Kayak Guides was the first organization to have their guide and operating standards approved for Gwaii Haanas. ACSKG standards have become the benchmark against which all other standards are evaluated."
- Anna Maria Husband, Visitor Services Team Leader
Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, National Marine Conservation Area Reserve & Haida Heritage Site
For more information on kayak guiding standards in Gwaii Haanas, please contact Parks Canada.
ACSKG Information Update
Alliance or Association - What's the Difference?
· SKGABC Certification Equivalence
· Synopsis of ACSKG Standards
Updated First Aid Requirements
See our new list of approved wilderness first aid courses.
New Classification Maps
All ACSKG maps have been updated to our new digital format.
Paddle Canada instructors, SKGABC guides and those certified by other reputable sea kayak guide organizations may be eligible to transfer to the ACSKG without additional exams.
SKGABC & CFOKE leadership course graduates qualify for ACSKG equivalency.
Links to conservation organizations and our letter to the Prime Minister.